American Horror Story S1: Unanswered Questions
The first season of the horror TV series American Horror Story ended with a bang, and with news spreading that season 2 will have a brand new house and cast; many fans are peeved over all the unanswered questions, loose ends and unfinished plot lines that have been, excuse the pun, left for dead. Some of it might be down to missing some minute detail somewhere and yet other could remain unanswered due to plot holes. American Horror Story season 1 left us with some head scratchers to ponder. Please note that this post might contain spoilers, so if you haven’t watched the first season yet, maybe read something else.
- One issue that people bring up frequently is the question of Thaddeus, the sharp toothed monster-like inhabitant of the house. What is he exactly? What is his back story? Why didn’t we see more of him, seeing as he’s really creepy? What is his relationship to Tate? If you have answers to these questions please share them in the comments below.
- We all know that there was an abortion clinic in the basement, and undead babies could certainly be super creepy, so why didn’t we really see any? In one of the episodes we see something that looks like a baby’s hand disappear under a bed, but there is no real follow-up on it. I, for one, was disappointed that we didn’t get to meet any of the infant victims of Murder House. The question is, do different rules apply to babies than adults who die in the house? With the rules not clearly defined there may be no answer.
- As the season progresses we learn that people who die in the house, stay in the house. We also know that Tate died in a stand-off with police in the room occupied by Violet. At one point, however, Tate takes Violet to the beach, where we also meet some of his victims. This wouldn’t be a problem, except that when Violet tries to leave the house after she died, she keeps ending up back inside it. Why then can Violet not leave Murder House, but Tate can? Does Tate have some other special powers that we don’t know about? Is this an unanswered question, or am I missing something from earlier in the first season of American Horror Story? Let me know in the comments. (UPDATE: It was Halloween, the spirits can roam free on Halloween – Thanks Amber!)
- When Ben gets attacked with the baby near the end of the final episode, why don’t any of the other ghosts, who all seemed to be looking out for the babies best interest, not intervene? Connie and Violet had just spoken to him seconds before, pleading with him to take the baby and go, yet they were nowhere to be found when little baby Harmon baby got stolen. Did the ghosts secretly want Ben to die in the house even though they said they don’t? Did the house stop them from intervening on his behalf? Once again I don’t feel like the rules were well defined in this season of American Horror Story. Perhaps some of these questions will be addressed in the following season, as rules for haunting in general.
- The maid, Moira, flirts with and attempts to seduce Ben throughout the season, yet in the final episode she appears to be benign, even wise and supporting old lady, so why did she try to tear the family apart to begin with? Is it her raging ghostly hormones that won’t let her get no satisfaction?
- Constance’s once loving husband, Larry Harvey, kills Hayden when she starts showing up at the house to harass Ben. What does he have to gain by keeping the Harmon family in the house and involving Ben in a murder?
I’m sure there are many other unanswered questions or plot inconsistencies in the first season of American Horror Story, if you can think of any post them in the comments, and if you have answers to the questions I posed above, it would be great if you could give them.
Here’s looking forward to season 2 of a really cool horror TV series. The creators have said that there is a big hint as to where the next season will take place in the “Birth” episode. In the meantime it will soon be available on Blu-ray from our Little Shop of Horrors.